I created this post as part of a sponsored series with Socialstars and SPLENDA® Brand; all opinions are my own. #SplendaSavvies #SplendaSavvies
‘Tis the season for Coquito and I’ve got a lighter mocktail version perfect for anyone who wants a delicious drink to celebrate the holidays! I made this Puerto Rican version of the traditional American eggnog by using coconut milk, coconut cream and SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener!
Every year my sister-in-law and her brother make their delicious coquito and it’s the one holiday drink I look forward to. It’s just as creamy and rich as American eggnog but has a sweet coconut flavor that gives it a tropical feel! Since everything during the holidays is so heavy, I wanted to make a lighter version of their coquito recipe for anyone trying hard not to overindulge! Traditional coquito and eggnog usually have cream, condensed milk, egg yolks and spices. To eliminate the regular sugar, I opted for unsweetened coconut milk and unsweetened coconut cream. The coconut cream serves a dual purpose here. Egg yolks add to the richness of eggnog and coquito but some recipes call for raw egg yolks. I personally don’t mind it but there may be guests who may not want to consume raw yolks. Using the coconut cream gives your drink the same richness from the yolks and adds some more coconut flavor.
Before you start this recipe, I would suggest leaving your coconut milk and cream in the fridge overnight. That way the coconut is cold and thick and you won’t have to use ice which dilutes the flavor.
To my blender, I added the coconut milk, coconut cream and a cup of milk. You may need a little bit more milk depending on how thick you’d like your coquito to be. I personally love mine to be a milk shake consistency! You can also totally make this vegan by adding more coconut milk or almond milk.
Once the coquito was nice and smooth, I served it in my stemless martini glasses since they are so festive! I also grated some fresh nutmeg on top for some more flavor! All of these spices together screams holiday!
- 1 can (13.5 oz) of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz) of unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 cup of milk of your choice
- 8 packets of SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 teaspoon of coconut extract
- fresh grated nutmeg for garnish
- Before starting this recipe, place your coconut milk and coconut cream in the fridge to chill overnight.
- In a blender cup, add your chilled coconut milk, coconut cream, milk of your choice, 8 packets of SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, spices and extract and blend until smooth. The drink will be thick so add more milk as needed to thin it out. Serve immediately in your favorite glasses.
- Extra Coquito mix can be stored in the fridge. Blend it again before serving.
It has been such a great pleasure to work with all of the SPLENDA® Brand products this past year! I am so incredibly grateful to have had this amazing opportunity! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season and joyful New Year!